Aug. 18, 2020
Contact: Kenny Gerling, firstname.lastname@example.org
About 200 volunteers recently spread out at Mizzou Arena to pack 50,000 bags of health and safety supplies for students, faculty and staff for their return to campus.
- a cloth face covering
- a 2-ounce bottle of hand sanitizer
- a pack of sanitizing wipes
- an informational piece directing people to the Show Me Renewal website
- a magnet with a daily self-monitoring checklist
- a laptop sticker
Student kits will include a special item — one of 30,000 Mizzou-branded, custom-made face coverings donated by Miller’s Professional Imaging, one of the largest professional lab organizations in the United States, and its subsidiary Mpix. Miller’s Professional Imaging/Mpix has locations in Columbia, Missouri, and Pittsburg, Kansas, and has strong ties to the Mizzou community.
Mpix’s masks are machine washable and made of a fabric that provides filtration comparable to the air filters used in industrial workspaces and hospital laboratories.
A joint statement from Mizzou alumni working at the company said: “Mpix & Miller’s Professional Imaging believe keeping our Mizzou students and faculty healthy is crucial to having a successful school year. These are unprecedented times, and our company is uniquely equipped to be able to lend a helping hand. We’re proud to play a small role in helping our fellow Tigers with this donation.”
All the Renewal kits are free. About 20,000 kits already have been distributed and more will be given out during Welcome Week, which continues through Aug. 23.
See below for images from the community effort and for a first look at what you will find included in the kits.
Kit distribution information
- Attendees can pick up a kit at Welcome Week activities; students can also pick up a kit at The Mizzou Store
- Fraternity and sorority members can pick kits up at their house
- Graduate and professional students will receive kits through their academic departments
- Faculty and staff will receive kits through their building coordinator