Nov. 18, 2019
Contact: Sheena Rice, 573-882-8353, firstname.lastname@example.org
By Hannah Wente
The Mizzou Alumni Association honored 12 distinguished faculty and alumni at the 52nd annual Faculty-Alumni Awards Ceremony on Nov. 15.
Faculty-Alumni Awards recognize the achievements of faculty and alumni. Faculty are considered for their work as teachers, researchers and administrators. Alumni are considered for both their accomplishments in their careers and service to Mizzou.
“At Mizzou, scholarship and teaching are driven by a responsibility to public service — the obligation to produce and disseminate knowledge that will improve the quality of life in the state, the nation and the world,” said Todd McCubbin, executive director of the Mizzou Alumni Association.
The following individuals were recognized:
Thomas H. Lafferre, BS ME ’56, retired vice president of operations at Monsanto Chemical Company, will receive the 64th Distinguished Service Award.
During Lafferre’s 38 years at Monsanto, he served in many different capacities in the U.S. and several foreign countries. His last position with the company was as vice president of operations for Monsanto Chemical before retiring in 1993. Known as a mentor of young professionals, Lafferre invested his talents in his community and alma mater. He served on the St. Louis Science Center Board of Commissioners, including four years as chair, during the formative period from 1983 to 1990 as the institution built a $34 million facility that opened in 1991. Lafferre has been an active member of the MU College of Engineering Dean’s Engineering Advisory Committee. He was the first major donor to the college's $68 million capital campaign. As a result the Engineering Building East was named the Thomas and Nell Lafferre Hall in December 2004.
Margaret E. Duffy, professor of strategic communication and executive director of the Novak Leadership Institute, will receive the 60th Distinguished Faculty Award.
Duffy, the founding executive director of the Novak Leadership Institute, led the effort to obtain a $21.6 million gift to endow the institute. Until 2016, she chaired the strategic communication faculty at the Missouri School of Journalism and grew the program from approximately 180 undergraduates in 2003 to almost 600 today. She also served as associate dean for graduate studies, and she directed the Missouri School of Journalism’s online master’s program from 2001-2016. A former marketing executive, Duffy is the founder of two student-staffed, fee-based ad agencies — AdZou and Mojo Ad — specializing in the youth market for major brands. An award-winning scholar, her research focuses on leadership, organizational communication, visual communication and persuasion ethics.
Mizzou alumni honored for their professional achievements and service to their community and alma mater are the recipients of the 52nd Faculty-Alumni Award.
- Robert D. Banning, BS PA ’58, Colonel, U.S. Army (retired)
- William M. Corrigan, JD ’85, partner of Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Michael A. Middleton, AB ’68, JD ’71, deputy chancellor emeritus and professor emeritus of law
- John M. Qualy, BJ ’70, retired managing partner, The Qualy Group, Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company
- Scott Woelfel, BJ ’81, executive vice president of IfThen Digital
Mizzou faculty members honored for their work in the classroom, research endeavors and relationships with students are the recipients of the 52nd Faculty-Alumni Award.
- Jeanne M. Abbott, AB ’67, BJ ’67, MA ’69, PhD ’88, associate professor of journalism and managing editor of the Columbia Missourian
- J.D. Bowers, director of the MU Honors College
- Angela K. Drake, professor of law, director and supervising attorney at the MU School of Law Veterans Clinic
- Susan Donnell Scott, BSN ’88, MS ’94, PhD ’14, director of nursing professional practice at MU Health Care
- Peter L. Vallentyne, Florence G. Kline Professor of Philosophy
The Mizzou Alumni Association strengthens Mizzou by supporting the best interests and traditions of Missouri’s flagship university. It serves as the voice for more than 340,000 Mizzou alumni worldwide, keeping alumni connected to each other and their alma mater.