Aug. 14, 2023
Contact: Sara Diedrich, 573-882-3243, email@example.com
Welcome Week – a series of events for new University of Missouri students that occurs each fall the week before school starts. Learn more at https://welcomeweek.missouri.edu/.
Here are traditions and activities media representatives are welcome to attend:
WHEN, WHAT & WHERE:
- Aug. 16 – 20 – Jesse Dome Lighting: The Jesse Hall dome will be lit gold every night during Welcome Week.
- Aug. 16 and 17 – Move-in Days: Students discover their new living space and settle in for the school year. Where: Residence halls across campus.
NOTE: Media representatives wishing to cover Move-In Days should contact MU News Bureau staff (573-882-6211) for additional information.
- 7 – 9 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 16 – First Come, First Served: Nothing brings new Tigers together like ice cream! After all, the ice cream cone is the official state dessert of Missouri! Join fellow Tigers for a variety of ice cream treats and lawn games. Where: Carnahan Quad, located south of Jesse Hall, between the MU School of Law and the Reynolds Alumni Center.
- 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 17 – International Field Day: A fun-filled field day with activities from around the world. Come play games, create tie-dye arts and crafts, and get information about Mizzou Study Abroad, International Student and Scholar Services, Missouri International Student Council, and Division of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity. Where: Kuhlman Court, located next to the MU Student Center.
- 8 – 10 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 17 – First Roar: First Roar is Mizzou’s official kickoff event for Welcome Week and the new academic year. Join Mizzou athletic coaches, the MSA president and other guests at Memorial Stadium. Students will receive a free First Roar shirt, learn various Mizzou traditions and take a class photo. Where: Memorial Stadium (Rain location: Mizzou Arena.) Note: Students will meet at Carnahan Quad, located south of Jesse Hall, between the MU School of Law and the Reynolds Alumni Center, and walk to Memorial Stadium.
- Friday, Aug. 18 – Academic Day Open Houses: Students can delve into their prospective majors or explore all the schools and colleges at various events throughout the day. Where: Each college and school and various locations across campus.
- 3 – 5 p.m. Friday, Aug. 18 – Paint the M: An annual tradition dating back to 1927 when the rocks were first placed on the hill, Paint the M gives incoming students a chance to meet their peers and get their first taste of Mizzou traditions. Where: Faurot Field.
- 10 p.m. – 1 a.m. Friday, Aug. 18 - Midnight BBQ: Celebrate the start of school with Mizzou’s largest block party. Enjoy BBQ and other treats along with inflatables and the largest dance party on campus. Where: Rollins Street (Rain site: MizzouRec).
- 8 – 11 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 19 – Flick on Faurot: Grab your blanket and friends to watch “Monsters University” on Faurot Field. This is also the chance to “kiss the fifty,” an honored tradition. Where: Faurot Field.
- 6 – 7 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 20 – Tiger Walk: Incoming students will walk through the Columns toward Jesse Hall to symbolically mark their entrance into Mizzou. Join the fun along with President Mun Choi and Marching Mizzou, which will give a concert following Tiger Walk. The public is invited to attend. Where: Francis Quad.