Oct. 13, 2021
Contact: Stephanie Fleming, 573-882-8353, firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Missouri will celebrate the grand opening of the Roy Blunt NextGen Precision Health building, which will anchor the overall NextGen Precision Health initiative. The initiative will transform health care and improve the lives of Missourians and beyond by harnessing the strengths of MU, the other three UM System universities (University of Missouri-Kansas City, University of Missouri-St. Louis and Missouri University of Science & Technology), MU Health Care, industry partners and extension networks.
With the opening of the Roy Blunt NextGen Precision Health building, MU now has the crucial pieces to transform and accelerate discoveries. The building supports and expands MU’s research enterprise, which includes the nation’s most powerful research reactor (MURR), strategic partnerships with Cerner for IT, Siemens Healthineers for imaging and Thermo Fisher Scientific for electron microscopy.
The grand opening ceremony will feature speakers, performances, a ceremonial ribbon cutting, tours of the facility and a distinguished lecture by Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health.
- Roy Blunt, United States senator
- Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health
- Mike Kehoe, Missouri lieutenant governor
- Darryl Chatman, chair of the University of Missouri Board of Curators
- Mun Choi, president of the University of Missouri
- Latha Ramchand, provost and executive vice chancellor for Academic Affairs at MU
- Richard Barohn, executive vice chancellor for Health Affairs and executive director of NextGen Precision Health
- Thomas Spencer, vice chancellor for Research and Economic Development and scientific director of NextGen Precision Health
- Talissa Altes, chair of Radiology at the University of Missouri
- Rebecca Shyu, student in the University of Missouri College of Engineering
10 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 19. Media availability with speakers and tours of the facility will follow the ceremony. The ceremony will also be livestreamed.
NextGen Plaza, 1030 Hitt St., Columbia, MO 65211
Francis Collins will deliver a distinguished lecture, “Biomedical Research: Building a Future of Precision Health for All” at 2:30 p.m. To attend this lecture, please RSVP to Stephanie Fleming by emailing email@example.com.